23rd October, 2015
Business as Usual.
The College has settled into a weekly routine which is both fast paced and productive. The positive summer results have been analysed and evaluated with leaders at all levels and we feel confident that although the exam system is usually unpredictable, everything that staff can do to prepare children to be successful in examinations is being done.
Governors have approved a two year development plan which has a clear trajectory of continual improvement for all areas of the College and I thought it may be useful to highlight 3 of their priorities.
Recruiting and Retaining the Best Staff
Each year leaders agree three priorities for all staff to work on within their lessons to further improve the progress of children. This year the foci are:-
- Promoting high quality literacy and oracy in all lessons.
- Giving students high quality feedback and encouraging meaningful reflection.
- Training staff to use high quality questioning to promote deeper thinking.
Becoming the School of Choice for our Catchment
The popularity of the school and our conversations with parents tell me that more and more parents are attracted to the College. Our evaluation with parents tells us the key reasons behind sending children to Norton are linked to:
1. A confidence in our pastoral care which has helped older family members to be successful.
2. Staff who all work hard for the children to give them every opportunity.
3. A culture of high aspirations for all.
Working in Partnership with other Schools
As a forward-thinking school, the governors are keen to look for ways that the schools in the local area can work more collaboratively for the benefit of all Ryedale children.
As our new website is launched, we hope this provides a useful window into the working of the College and we would appreciate your comments about what is missing and what would be valuable. Please feel free to email me or Des MacPhee our Business Manager (email@example.com).